|The Missionaries formed the hospital; the first pastor was Mr
Hanse Schreuder from Norway, who arrived at Ntunjambili in 1 January 1844 with
the aim of spreading the Gospel in Africa.
Pastor Schreuder went back to one of the places in surrounding area to have a rest, “WAYA KOPHUMULA”, that place was called UMPHUMULO. One of the Kings had sores in his legs and he asked Pastor Schreuder to pray for him, he did so and the King was healed, therefore he went back to Untunjambili to preach the word of God at Lutheran Church of South Africa.
Seeing that he was getting a large number of people with sores and chest pains he started to buy his own medicines, after him Mr Otte took over,
|his wife Mrs Lilian Otte was a professional nurse, she worked together with her
husband. In 1940 Mr and Mrs Otte built the female ward (emlindelweni), male ward and
medicine room, there were no electricity by that time.
Untunjambili was named after the landmark; “UNTUNJA” means “whole”, “MBILI” means “two”, which means there were two holes in the mountain.
In 1940 the Missionaries had a College for pastors called Khumbulani now its Labour ward.
In 1969 Dr Ali was the first Superintendent of the hospital, Selma Ericsson was
the first matron and the hospital had only 1 van for mission, everybody was
using that van.
Thereafter Miss P.S Nyawo took over as a Hospital Manager, followed by Mr P.K
Sikhosana, who took over from 2002 until 2012. Dr NA Phakathi is currently
[ Untunjambili Hospital ]
The material on this website may be copied for non-commercial use as long as our copyright notice and website address are included.
Copyright © KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health, 2001