Appelsbosch hospital hope programme
Health outreach promotion and empowerment programme
- Better serve the health needs of the surrounding community via an
integrated multi disciplinary approach including education, social, welfare and
other governmental departments as well as NGO’s, religious groups and private
- Identify and target the key health issues affecting our community.
- Health awareness and promotion across all sectors of the community.
- Empowering the community to take responsibility for its health and wellness.
- Training and involvement of community volunteers, leaders, elders, community
and home-based care workers.
- Streamline referrals to and from health care institutions and learning
continuity of care.
The program is based at Appelsbosch Hospital comprising, doctors, nurses, allied
health workers and members of the community.
Scheduled fortnightly to monthly discourses on relevant health topics will be
held within the community itself by doctors and other relevant health staff in
order to raise awareness and promote greater access to health services.
Schools will be involved by means of essays and poetry competitions on relevant
health topics, Health Awareness day e.g. World Aids Day etc. and audio-visual
dissemination of health information.
The Department of Health and NGO’s have been enlisted to train community members
as DOTS supporters and home-based care workers for the month Oct- Nov 2007.
Yearly surveys to assess impact of programme on community awareness by
to Appelsbosh hospital ]
The material on this website may be copied for non-commercial use as long as our copyright notice and website address are included.
Copyright © KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health, 2001