Data Management and GIS Services
Data Management is responsible for the development of policies and
procedures in order to effectively manage the information process within the
In doing the above, the unit aims to enhance the value of the data which is a
rich resource for strategic and operational planning at all levels within the
Department of Health, as well as externally. It is therefore imperative for each
level of management to ensure proper generation and storage of local data, as
the information that the data is converted into, is used for sound decision
In a summary, the Data Management Unit is responsible for the following:
- Interpret legislative and policy imperatives with a view to develop departmental
information and data management policies and procedures that will facilitate the
standardization of data.
- Development of customized data collection tools that will optimally satisfy the
information needs of the Department of Health.
- Manage the processes to develop and maintain validation systems which will help
improve data quality.
- Train information staff in the province on the current health information
- Ensure that routine data and information requirements of primary users (Senior
Management, internal and external users, Research organizations) are satisfied
- Provide technical support to lower levels of management to acquire, manipulate
and produce user friendly data and information
- Manage and oversee the performance of selected surveys/campaigns to satisfy the
data and information requirements of the Department.
- Provision of routine data for Strategic plans, Annual Performance Plans, Annual
Reports and other Programme and Departmental reports.
With the above in mind, the Data Management Unit will continue to provide these
services to allow for effective planning and decision making, thus assisting the
Department in achieving its goals.
The 2013 National Antenatal Sentinel HIV Prevalence Survey South Africa.
The material on this website may be copied for non-commercial use as long as our copyright notice and website address are included.
Copyright © KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health, 2001