Edendale hospital : Department of Medicine : HIV and Aids Unit
Edendale hospital has one of the largest ARV programmes in
South Africa. In 2005 there were less than 3000 patients on ARV's. As of
2009, over 10 000 patients have been started on ARV's.
Edendale Hospital is one of the biggest ARV rollout sites with large number of
vulnerable (children) on HAART in the country.
Umgungundlovu District has a population of approximately 950 000 with HIV
prevalence’s of up to 60% in some areas and most of these are women of child
Approximately 15% of these require to be initiated on Anti-Retroviral therapy
Edendale Hospital began an ARV Rollout programme in September 2004 as a
comprehensive programme. It has 17 Primary Health Clinics with 2 of these fully
accredited for ARV Rollout that is Richmond Complex and Imbalenhle Community
Currently 4 of these clinics are for follow-up service and 1 function as a pink
card pick up only.
Overview of HIV Unit
HIV unit is under the department of Medicine and partly Paediatric. It functions
in the following units.
Responsible Team for ARV Rollout
Home Based Care
- ARV – Adults CDC
- Family Clinic
- GOPD/ PMTCT
- Staff Clinic
- Teen Clinic
- Regional clinic
- Dr D Wilson – HOD of Medicine 033 395 4146
- Dr M. Dlwathi – ARV Programme Manager > 033 395 4194
- Dr K. Malini – ARV Paediatric Dept > 033 395 4377
- Sr. T. A. Shange – ARV Coordinator > 033 395 4183
- Sr. L.N. Madlala – Operational Manager CDC > 033 395 4183
- Sr. N. B. Baloyi – Operational Manager Paediatric > 033 395 4368
- Miss P. Pillay – ARV Pharmacy Coordinator > 033 395 4307
- Miss B. Manyamalala – ARV Social Worker > 033 395 4019
- Patient booking. All patients are seen on a booked basis after completion of literacy classes
- Prescription is made for 30 days period
- All stable patients are referred to PHC for continuity of care. These clients
are monitored by doctors who visit clinics on a weekly basis. Only clients with
complications are up referred to the hospital
Back to Edendale hospital homepage
The materials on this website may be copied for non-commercial use as long as our copyright notice and website address are included.
Copyright © KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health, 2001