||Black Rat, Ship Rat, Roof Rat and House Rat
||Body length : 10-24cm
Weight : 150-200g
||Black in colour with a lighter coloured ventral belly.
- Black rats are very similar in appearance to brown rats, but they
are slimmer, with relatively larger ears and a longer tail.
- Despite their name, they are typically grey brown, with a pale grey
underside, but they may be completely black.
- Outdoors: roof rats nest in high places such as trees, but
sometimes in burrows under plants.
- Indoors: they nest in high places in structures, but sometimes in
basements, sewers, or under buildings.
- Gestation 20-22 days
- Weaning 21-28 days
- Sexual maturity 3-4 months; total life may not exceed two years
- The life cycle of rats is around a year to eighteen months, during
which time, the female will typically breed up to six times, with the
average litter being seven or eight.
- Breeding occurs throughout the year, but especially in the spring or autumn
||Plague: The bacterium(Yersinia pestis), Vectors(Oriental rat flea
- development of high fever , headache, delirium
- swelling of lymph glands
- skin eruptions possible
- secondary pneumonia possible
|Types of Damage
- Roof rats gnaw and eat stored food,
- Transmit disease by droppings and urine, bites, and the fleas and
mites in their fur.
- Most breeding activity occurs from March to November, and they produce 3-5 litters a year.
- Females give birth to 7-8 young after a gestation period of 23-24 days. They are weaned after 3-4 weeks
||Rodent proofing your home
- Repair or replace damaged ventilation screen around the foundation and under
- Provide a tight fitting cover for the crawl space
- Seal all openings around pipes, cables, and wires that enter through walls
or the foundation.
- Be sure all windows that can be opened are screened and that the screens are
in good condition
- Cover all chimneys with a spark arrester
- Make sure all exterior doors are tight fitting and weatherproofed at the
- Seal gaps beneath garage doors with a gasket or weather-stripping
- Keep side doors to the garage closed, especially at night
- Concentrate control where most droppings are found.
- Place traps and bait stations along runways, against vertical surfaces
- Wire glue boards to rafters and pipes
- Rats are cautious. Pre-baiting with non-toxic bait may be needed.
- Rats are gluttonous. Use sufficient bait for 1, 2 or more meals baits. For roof rats use high-carbohydrate baits, liquid baits if water source
can be eliminated. Burrows can be gassed.
- If you use any baits, gas, or pesticide, be sure they are registered
for this species, read entire label first, strictly adhere to all
directions, restrictions, precautions