Health in KwaZulu-Natal, Dr SM Dhlomo : taking medical male circumcision to new heights
The Medical Male Circumcision Campaign was launched in April 2010 following a shared
commitment from traditional leaders and government of KwaZulu-Natal to roll out
this campaign as part of the comprehensive HIV prevention arsenal. In the same
month a HIV Counselling and Testing Campaign was launched in the province
thereby cementing the HIV prevention drive of government.
Since the launch of these campaigns; 878 769 people have been counseled for HIV
and of these 710 650 have taken the HIV test and a total of 10 229 men and boys
have been circumcised in the province. UThungulu district aims at counseling and
testing 260 112 people by June next year (2011) and they are on track as they
have counseled and tested 102 088 people in just five months. The district has
circumcised 1933 men and boys since the launch of the campaign. The district is
one of the top five districts, in the province, with a HIV prevalence rate of
above 40%, currently at 46, 6%.
“The roll out of medical male circumcision at the tertiary institutions will
assist in reducing the spread of HIV among young men where the HIV burden is the
highest in the province; between the ages of 15 – 24 years. There is also a
rising trend among those in the age group 10 – 14 years. It is for this reason
that we want to increase our prevention efforts in those age groups” says the
MEC for Health, Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo.
22 October 2010
His Majesty on Medical Male Circumcision
Get circumcised - know the
Medical Male Circumcision
- Reduces the chances of men getting infected by
the HIV by 60%
- Reduces the transference of the Herpes type 2
- Reduces the chances of cancer of the cervix in
- Your penis is odour free and feels cleaner
MMC is FREE and can be confidential
MMC is safe and a little uncomfortable in EXPERIENCED hands
What do you have to do?
- Go to your nearest Clinic for help and support
- The Clinic staff will prepare you for MMC with screening for
diabetes, hypertension, TB, HIV.
What do I do to recover quickly after MMC?
- Avoid heavy work or exercise after MMC to allow the wound to
- Take good care of your wound
- Clean the penis twice a day with salt water
- Keep the penis clean and dry
- Do not pull or scratch the penis while it Is healing.
- It is important to go back to the Clinic on the given date –
usually within 1-5 days.
- Avoid sexual activity – even with a condom- as well as
masturbation for at least 6 weeks after your surgery.
Return to the Clinic if:
- There is bleeding that does not want to stop
- Severe pain- especially in your lower abdomen
- Difficulty in urinating
- Lots of swelling around your penis
- Discharge from the wound